Monday, June 8, 2009

Some Summer Reading

As a result of my desire to become addicted to reading, I decided to challenge myself to read 100 pages of anything, each day, for as long as I can (or until it becomes a habit). And, while I do have quite a few good unread titles in my collection, I decided to go searching for some more to add to my list.
Since I'm a big advocate for the first amendment, I decided what better place to find something interesting than the list of most commonly challenged books in the United States.

I cannot for the life of me imagine living in a country where I couldn't read something because the majority group didn't enjoy its message. Everybody has a voice, we should be able to write freely without fear of being put away for speaking our minds.
Don't ban books. What deserves to be praised will be praised. What deserves to be scrutinized will be scrutinized. Make nothing sacred. Don't limit yourself.

[There are quite a few classic novels on this list, such as "1984", "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", "Brave New World", "The Catcher in the Rye", "Fallen Angel", "The Grapes of Wrath", "Of Mice and Men", etc.
Also, surprisingly on the same list, is "Where's Waldo".]

2 comments:

  1. Ban Waldo! His red-and-white striped shirt and his cap are harbingers of the DEVIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right.

    I forgot that Waldo was Satan's last ditch effort to affect the minds of young, good, Protestant children.

    ReplyDelete